Friday, February 8, 2013

Sewing swag

My old Brother Project Runway sewing machine died. It died a horrible grinding death. It was only a couple years old and it just couldn't take the daily sewing. I've been wanting a new one for a while but I figured you do really get what you pay for so I wanted to wait till I was in a position to buy a good one. I found the Singer 9960 Quantum Stylist on Amazon at 53% off and I fell in love. It does everything I need an more. The only thing that disappointed me was that the lettering you can embroider is not changeable. Meaning, it's only one size, like half an inch tall. Its really only good for making tags or a little bit of script. It also came with no less than like 15 feet. It has a foot for everything you can think of and some I couldn't. I can't wait to try out the walking foot too!

Anyway, I'm working up a quick apron as a birthday present for a dear friend. The polka dot colors and the coral band are colors she is using to decorate her cottage so I think it will be a fun and whimsical apron to wear around. I did a sample tag I wanted to include with her name and the year. I still need to work out the spacing I think.

I also wanted to show the way I do gathers. I find doing a basting stitch and pulling the threads together is just awful. The threads snap and you have to start over, or the gathers end up being uneven. I do a wide zig zag stitch on regular tension and sew over a piece of dental floss (don't laugh, you know you have a hundred little floss containers floating around!) or in this case a piece of cheap embroidery floss. Just sew slow enough so that you don't sew over the floss (of either variety). Then you hold onto one floss end (or wrap it around a pin) and push the fabric into gathers using the other piece of floss. It's amazingly fast and always even. It's also very easy to adjust the gathers if you over gather the fabric. Nothing snaps, it's looks cleaner and you can even pull the floss out once the gathers are sewn over. I think I'm going to try out a nifty decorative stitch on the waistband in a grey thread. Might as well right?!














2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your old machine, but congratulations on finding such a great new one! I'm sure you'll be very pleased with it! Oh, I would love a walking foot... But that and 3-step zigzac's are two things my 50's Bernina just is too old for =( It stitches very pretty, though, and it can take really heavy duty sewing.

    I love your gathering method! I've also heard about zigzac over a fishingline (good for tulle, apparently) but has yet to try it. Do you use this method when setting sleeves as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I have used it on sleeves but I usually end up doing a cute pleated sleeve top or something with a slight puff just because I get lazy and I always get wrinkles on the sleeve head anyway.

    I just used a new stitch on my machine today too. My husband is always getting these gigantic holes in the crotch of his pants. I don't know how this happens. It was some sort of joining stitch and it worked! Now I have like 4 more pairs to fix.

    ReplyDelete