Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Happy Birthday Katy! Its going to be a super bright splash of color when winter is at its worst.

McCall's 1712 Pattern Review

I have done this pattern before here and, as before, it turned out great. This time I self lined it and just turned it instead of using bias binding. I think this method is far superior than 6.5 yards of binding and looks just at good (also a lot faster!). It also gives another layer of protection to wetness and paint etc. I also added a second layer of pockets situated above the bottom pockets. The original pattern called for only three rather shallow pockets. IMHO you can never really have too many pockets on a child's smock; they are always squirreling away something. My pattern didn't have directions but as it was only 1 pattern piece it wasn't too difficult to figure out where to put the closings and where to sew up the sides. The lovely little Marisol in the back view picture wears a solid six and still had plenty of room to grow.

If I were to change anything I would maybe make the arm holes a little deeper since I lost some fabric in the improvised seam allowance. It's not snug under the arm but I feel like it would be even easier for the kids to dress themselves with a little extra room. Overall I think the smock turned out fantastic and is attractive and utilitarian. The little girl I made it for loves peace signs and wanted something not too girly. While it's not my personally favorite fabric choice, the crazy patterns seems less obnoxious in a cute apron form.

The buttons are just decorative. The tabs have sewn in velcro closing the smock.

Steve wasnt exactly thrilled to wear the girly smock

Monday, August 29, 2011

New project in the pipeline...

Sunday, August 28, 2011

End of summer UFO project wrap up

I'm almost done with all of my UnFinished Objects (UFOs). All I really have left are the valances for the dining room. I think the pillow covers for the couch came out lovely. The zippers, while not quick, went in smoothly. I think I kept putting off this boring project because of my loathing for zippers. Pillow covers are certainly not a glamorous project. It's just four big squares with zippers. I hate all the quadruple measuring and straight sewing but I have to admit that the instant gratification of in instant ugly couch makeover is refreshing. Once I got the pillows squeezed into the covers my husband suggested that I do the bottom cushions in that reverse beige chenille. I have to keep myself occupied during the winter somehow...

Finished! all 4 pillows are reversible. The old couch looks so much nicer!

Pillow cover number 1! and take a look at that zipper.... what zipper you say? oh yes, its totally invisible (as its supposed to be but doesnt always turn out that way)

Thursday, August 25, 2011

I have been working on an table runner made from vintage doilies. They have age stains so I thought maybe either bleaching it all white, tea staining it or dyeing it all a 1930s pastel lavander color? Opinions please!

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

You say sideboard, I say Buffet

I am almost done with the refinishing of my antique buffet. I originally thought it was a 1920s piece; after much google'ing I feel as though I can date it as Victorian (read late 1890s). I stripped of the old grungy green paint and the original skuzzy (a very technical term) ugly, dark stain. I used steel wool dipped in Formby's to treat the original wood. After some scrubbing it worked perfectly! I used a standard paint stripper to take care of the ugly green painted portions. It still boogles my mind to think that someone painted over perfect wood. Tiger Maple to exact. Its beautiful and my cruddy pictures don't do it justice. I don't feel bad about getting rid of that original nasty stain either. The Formby's doesn't take away all the stain (I didn't extensively sand it down), just removes the top gunk. It left the wood a beautiful tea color instead of the original black coffee color. You really couldn't see the wood grain the way it was originally treated. The hubby and I had such fun doing this together we are now on the lookout for another gem to refinish! Did I mention that I only paid $120 for the buffet? Yep, total steal!

This was my color inspiration. Its a 1940s cake and pie holder. The hubby matched the colors exactly


Almost done! just needs the sunflowers on the side. i kinda regret repainting the sides but we can always strip those later. never mind our improvised baby latch system...

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Once we started we couldnt stop. I think it tiger maple. I can not some dingus painted and stained this awesome buffet

Monday, August 15, 2011

I wore my Anne Adams #R4503 dress antiquing and junk shopping with my mom today. I only shortened the sleeves and disregarded the cuffs. Its super comfortable too. The bodice fabric is vintage (thanks @marysue!) and the skirt is mens shirting material.

Friday, August 12, 2011

Call me crazy but im going to try to finish this dress for tomorrow. mind you i'm only starting it now..... totally rockabilly!

Thursday, August 11, 2011

The big monkey needed a baby.

Sock monkey for my sick boy. He now requests a sock animal every time one of the kids gets sick. I'm good with that, it was quick and fun.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Ladybug booties for a gift. I must be on a sewing roll right now.

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Its been a while since I posted a project. This is an apron I made as a gift. It's a vintage 50s table runner with lace trim, ribbon ties, and a flower on a pin with a vintage button.