Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Do you tissue? And Singer 66s

I usually tissue fit a pattern after I measure it just to make sure it will fit and to see if I like where I set the hem line. Some people think its a total waste of time but I like to do it. I also like to look at it for a couple days and see if I get inspired to change anything and to think about what fabric I want to use. Sometimes after a couple days of looking at it I realize that I don't want to make it or that I really can't decide on a fabric.

In the case of Butterick 6409, I'm not sure how this will look. The fabric is a very light mint green with a deep teal and orange and brown stripe. It's an Oxford material, like for men's shirts, but I thinks it will work nicely for a dress. My concern lies in the stripe. The pattern cover shows a lass in a white and red stripe dress. I love it but would never actually make a white dress. I've got too much toddler running around for a stain magnet like a white dress. I thought about color blocking but the back is cut as one, the raglan sleeve front doesn't continue to the back. Thoughts?

I'd also like to welcome another machine to the family! Hello Singer 66-16, made in 1955, and snagged off Craigslist. For a whopping $30 I got a cosmetically lovely machine, all attachments, a buttonholer, and lots of grime (free of charge). I've scooted it in the living room and have been doing my best to de-gunk it while watching tv. It needed lots of oil. The wiring and motor seem to be new (within the last 10 years or so) and the belt is brand new. The cabinet is in need of some love. I'm thinking of using epoxy countertop paint on the flip out portion of the table so it will be super durable and slick and the rest of the cabinet will just get regular paint.

Right now I'm working on my version of the perfect wallet. That will be a post sometime this week. Its nautical peeps! I'm moving into my sewing room (eeeeeeeee!) and have some stuff floating around (i.e. it's lost). More to come....
















No comments:

Post a Comment